Just 2 hours ago I attended a training and, while I still am under that motivational veil of achieving the unachievable, I wanted to write this article about it. The training was about Networking, the fundamentals of it, presented by a very charismatic man by the name of Paul Renaud. He had all the words with him, as we say in romanian, which is not such a surprise considering his over 15 years of experience in coaching. 🙂
So what is networking?! Wikipedia (the clearest example of networking) would say a socioeconomic business activity by which groups of like-minded businesspeople recognize, create, or act upon business opportunities.
Even though we are social beings, most of us don’t find a great amount of pleasure in socializing with new people. Imagine yourself at a conference or even better at a party; you tend to cling on to the people that you know and not reach out of your comfort zone and try different socializing patterns.
People sure love talking about Networking but how do get to actually do it?! Networking takes plotting until you get to master it. It is actually easier than the definition on Wikipedia or then you might even think. Seriously! 🙂 It’s the simplest gestures that make you stand out and get you noticed and connected with the right people.
What is Networking actually about:
- GIVE GIVE GIVE! There are enough chances of triumph for everybody so don’t be afraid to give to others. By giving to other people you are giving to yourself and always placing yourself in a win-win situation even if you do no see the benefits right away.
- Thank you! Learn to say it and also take enough time to say it. It’s perhaps one of the smallest gestures but one of the most forgotten.
- Have confidence! Learn to discover your true skills so that you gain self confidence. This is beneficial for your development but also in becoming a better conversation partner.
- Have patience! When investing in people it always takes time so be patient; good things will come back to you. 🙂
- Don’t do it for a hidden purpose! Be fair with yourself and with your conversation partner; if not, sooner or later it will surface and create unrepairable damage.
- Value people! Network with the people that you really enjoy and give them your full attention.
- Go for it! Sometimes you just need to grab yourself by the collar and throw yourself into the crowd. Socialize with people, go wild but with a plan 🙂
- did I mention to GIVE?! 🙂
Nota bene: the above ideas have been highlighted during the workshop and this is my interpretation of them. For the original opinion of the author, you can go directly to Paul’s book, A networking book.
I will admit it, I am not good at networking, but I want to be. 🙂 I want to dedicate more time to communicating with people and doing this while I still focus on achieving my goals.
Am ales sa scriu acest articol in engleza pentru ca tot in engleza a fost si workshopul si am vrut sa redau cat mai fidel ideile de baza. Networkingul e un “sport” care se practica tot mai mult si la noi. Se practica si cu pilele de pe vremea comunismului, dar varianta asta e mult mai rafinata. 🙂Credit foto: www.stephanine.co
De networking avem nevoie si in beauty blogging romanesc – suntem multi si multe, iar schimbul de idei, colaborarea, increderea, bunavointa pot conduce la lucruri grozave. Sunt inca novice in ale bloggingul, iar pana acum am reuit sa o identific pe Ani (Ana Maria Tatucu aka Beauty Barometer) ca o sustinatoare a networkingului in blogosfera romaneasca de beauty. Ani organizeaza workshopuri care servesc ca un fel de starter kit pentru noii bloggeri (vezi aici cum e la un astfel de workshop). E un ajutor notabil pentru un blogger incepator 🙂